Friday, April 5, 2013

Coming Back and On Track (and on the track...)

I ran with Marie on Monday at the Rec Center and it went really well. We ran 15 minutes, walked 5, ran 10, walked 5, ran 5 (with a 5 minute warmup walk before and cool down after). I was amazed and happy that my knee didn't hurt afterward. So the solution may be that I need to be more aware of my running surfaces. Also I believe my cross training and stretching exercises help a lot.

I spent the next few days contemplating a Rec membership. The cost isn't bad for employees but is it the right thing to do. It is a big commitment to get a year membership right as the weather is getting nice.

I really want to be an outside runner but I feel like the sidewalk and roads in the neighborhood are very unforgiving. So on Thursday, via IM, Andy and I talked about it (and I asked some coworkers) and came up with the plan to try running at Cook Field. There is an asphalt track and half of the field is turf. It is a half mile and half of the time I can run beside the track on the asphalt. So off to Cook I went on Thursday after work. And the results were great!

I have to admit I was a little intimidated since I rarely go to that part of campus and I knew there woulda be a lot of students but I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was. There were a few things I didn't think about ahead of time but know now (like to not bring my huge set of keys, be sure my vitamin water is cold for after my run, and a water bottle for during running might be nice until until the water fountain starts working ).

I ran 20 minutes, walked 5, and ran 5. Next time I plan to run 25 minutes (or more if I can) so I feel like I'm on track again, ready for the next 5k on April 21st!

P.S. Stopped by to see Lia today to tell her Mark, her husband & the PT I saw a few weeks ago, helped me so much and I'm following his instructions religiously and doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment