Friday, May 24, 2013

Intervals

On my way to 10K is now serving me up with interval running!  I was off today so I got up early to run when it was still cool out. (It actually didn't ever get too warm today to run.)

I find that eating a power bar first really helps, either because it really boosts my energy or the commitment after consuming 170 calories first thing in the morning.  Anyway I started with that and plenty of water, and a little coffee. 

The intervals now are 5 minute warm up walk, then run 10, walk 1, run 10, walk 2, run 10, walk 3, run 10, walk 4, run 10, then 5 minute cool down walk.  It's kind of nice to have a change from straight running.  It adds variety. 

I'm also enjoying running in new areas because I'm going further.  My route today, including all walking and running, was over five miles.  And I'm on busier streets so people mention that they see me running. Everyone is so supportive. 

To keep a handle on my weight which has gone up a little, not because I'm 'building muscle' but because I'm eating whatever I want (and my pants are getting tight), I joined Weight Watchers Online again. It's nice to see the calculations of adding activity, I got nine extra points today for running. 

Have I mentioned lately that I really don't miss smoking?  In the past I have always known that I missed it and would start again if (fill in the blank) but this time I can't imagine ever smoking again because it would negatively affect my running which means a lot more to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment