Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hello old friend

I really think I prefer cold weather running.  It feels so good to have cool lungs and a running nose.  It reminds me of when I started running and how far I have come.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like the ice and snow on the sidewalks and roads, but cold doesn't really bother me.

Last winter I ran when it was cold, drizzling, flurrying.  With my tissue up my sleeve I ran around the neighborhood.  I remember thinking that I would love running in the summer when I would wear less clothes on a sunshiny path but it wasn't all that.  I never realized how hard running would be in the heat.

Anyway, running now, back in the cold, brings back lots of memories of running last January and February.  When I thought "if I can just make it to the intersection of Melinda and Melissa, it will be time to take a break a walk."  Now that seems like such a easy thing to do but then it was huge to me.

My only issue in the cold is my hands getting cold.  So yesterday, while picking up our packets for the Thanksgiving Day Race at Bob Roncker's Running Spot, I got a new pair of Brooks Dry-Vapor Running Gloves.  I'm excited to try them out with their fingers for electronics and terry cloth section for nose-wiping.
Training for the race is going fine but I'm still really intimidated about running a 10K.  I still keep thinking how great it would be to finish "The Year of Quitting Smoking and Starting Running" with a race that is double my goal would be a great accomplishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment